Friday, January 15, 2016


ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL DOESN'T WORK

Something to think about…

Any subject can be taught effectively in some intellectually honest form to any child at any stage of development.  (Jerome Bruner, 1960).


Bruner’s words are as true today as they were when he wrote them.  Every child is unique.  Children learn in different ways – at different rates.  The “ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL” approach doesn’t work – in selling shoes or clothing - or in education.  As educators, our job is to meet every child where they are and help them grow and learn from that starting point.

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely true, and I'm using your quote in a graduate class I am in the process of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first read this in a short book by Bruner - my head exploded. It was life-changing!!!! I've never forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete